Wednesday 21 October 2015

IT Lesson!


Before our IT session on Thursday I would never have known about Google Drive or thought to use a service like Google Hangout.  The only reason I ever sign in to Google is to check my old and very rarely used Gmail account so it was surprising and refreshing to discover the many features we explored.

As part of my Chemistry module I have been introduced to the concept of screencasts and have found them very useful as a learning tool.  I would have no idea how to create one though and was therefore interested to learn that they can be made easily using Google Hangout. This is a skill I’d be keen to practice in the future for any teaching I was doing.

Google Drive was a completely new concept for me; I was unaware that we could use it to share and collaborate effectively on group projects. The section of the class where we all worked separately on the same document was not something I had ever done before, and I was expecting it to be confusing and overly complicated. I was wrong. The group was able to complete the task quickly and efficiently while cutting out the unnecessary admin involved in coordinating separate documents. I found the visual experience motivating; watching our project develop as people contributed was a satisfying way to work.  The chat function was also a revelation and allowed us to communicate via yet another medium!
One focus of the class was the variety of technological options now available, from communication to healthcare (remote robot surgery anyone?) The ‘Death of Distance’ is widely perceived to be a revolution in communication technology and a powerful economic force. There is no such thing as unreachable or remote when it comes to modern technology. We certainly don't need to travel any more in order to impart information. Whilst this is undoubtedly a useful and inspiring trend, I wonder if something might be lost in translation – can we rely too much on the convenience of technology and does this inhibit ‘real’ communication between human beings? Answers on a postcard.




As a technophobe I can see that the IT class will help me to embrace new ways of creating and collaborating with others. Now I’m off to catch up on some Bob National…there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say!

No comments:

Post a Comment